Re: [Proposal] New Guideline 6 checkpoints (APIs, Infoset, DOM)

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:40:18 -0500
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting the proposal [1] on changes to the communication
checkpoints out, it looks very good to me.  I think it also reflects much
better the current state of communication between assistive technologies
and many types of software.  A few comments:

6.4 Programmatic access to rendering structure.(P1)

I would like to add an i.e. for structured content and pixel content:

Structure:
Type of object: static text, image, control, video, icon
Features of content: font characteristics, text content, text description,
colors

Pixel:
a. location on screen
b. size of graphical object
c. colors

I think the details probably need to go into the techniques document, but I
think there should be some hints in the guidelines document to what we mean
by structure and pixel information.

6.5Programmatic access to user agent user interface controls.(P1)
a. I think for the read requirement we also need a security clause to say
that what is available through the read access is the same information that
is available to the user through the user interface.  So for example a
password box that shows asterisks to the user through the user interface,
would also be the same content as a programmatic read.

Jon

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2002AprJun/0090