User Agent Accessibility Testing of SVG

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:39:53 -0400
To: "Lofton Henderson" <lofton@qwestinternet.net>, "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>, charles@w3.org, marja@w3.orgt

Lofton and Chris: I hope you can identify portions of your SVG test suite
that address
accessibility for the WAI User Agent working group.

The User Agent Accessibility Guidelines seeks implementation experience
supporting the
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines [WCAG1.0] that deal with image forms
in SVG.
We would like to include examples from SVG. We also wish to include tests
in the SVG
test suite that includes explicit tests for those WCAG1.0 requirements.

In my cursory examination of the SVG test suite I find no occurrence of
"accessibility" in
any of the SVG html harness html files.

Do I assume that this was not a highlighted part of that test suite? Or do
I assume that
the tests only indirectly address accessibility issues as part of different
objectives?.

The Accessibility issues with SVG objects should be explicitly included,
such as those identified in:

Accessibility Features of SVG
W3C Note 7 August 2000

     Charles McCathieNevile and Marja-Riitta koivunen

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/

"Accessibility requires that the features offered by SVG are correctly used
and supported. This Note describes the SVG features that support accessibility
and illustrates their use with examples." ...

Regards/Harvey Bingham