Re: Proposal for fixing checkpoints 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.7

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> In general I agree with the proposal. However I have concerns about the
> example provided of what to do in an image map.
>
> HTML does specify the regions of the image which are active in the HTML
> format, e.g.
>
> <map>
>   <area shape="rect" coords="0 0 5 5" alt="corner shop" />
> ...etc
>
> I think it is reasonable to expect that a user agent which can lay out an
> image and render a border on it, and which can interpret movement within that
> image, highlights the relevant part.
>
> (How does the group feel about claiming conformance based on the idea that
> the status bar identifies the target of the currently focussed link?)

This provision is in the document as a result of issue 458 [1]:

 "Do link highlighting requirements apply to all zones of an image map?
 What is required granularity?"

The UAWG resolved at its 1 Feb 2001 teleconference [2] not to require
highlighting of each zone, aware of your initial email [3] on this
topic.

While it may be feasible for a user agent to highlight active
regions (for client-side image maps), we reasoned that in many
cases, the author would be doing this, and therefore, it was not
always required. We did not want to add a repair functionality
when the author did not provide an image with borders built-in.

Do you have new rationale for why we should reverse our earlier
decision?

 - Ian

[1] http://server.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear-lc2.html#458
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0193
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001JanMar/0181

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447