Re: UA/GL duplication of effort? Re: Review of Script Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (part 2.)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:03:54 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
cc: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>, Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Right. I wuld expect onfocus and onmouseover to be used analagously, and it
is true that a user agent can quite easily collapse the two as required.

onclick is only triggered with a mouse (big bug in my opinion) although there
is an onactivate in DOM 2 and in SVG and SMIL 2 which is designed to be
triggered by click, double-click, keyboard activation, or whatever is
appropriate for the user interface in question.

Cheers

Charles

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Jim Ley wrote:

  >There is a problem, if it is done in the obvious way.

  As I originally thought, but obviously didn't explain well.

  >Having the author set an onClick and an onFocus
  >that lead to the same script, if it shows up as two
  >entries in the context-adapted "what can I do?"
  >menu, is a real performance degrader.

  onMouseOver and an onFocus are more likely, click isn't defined only for a
  pointing device is it?

  If they are identical scripts handlers for the two events point to the
  same function, then a UA could collapse them to one, the same as
  collapsing icon and text links could be done, so the approach is possible,
  it needs to be mentioned in the specifications.

  Jim.