Re: Responses to Tantek Çelik issues raised during third last call of UAAG 1.0

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:59:01 -0500
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Regrets. My son is playing in the Triple Crown World Series this week.

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM Accessibility Center
Research Division
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",

                    "Ian B. Jacobs"
                    <ij@w3.org>           To:     Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:              cc:     Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>,
                    w3c-wai-ua-requ        w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
                    est@w3.org            Subject:     Re: Responses to Tantek Çelik issues
                                           raised    during      third  last call of UAAG 1.0
                    12:13 PM

Jon Gunderson wrote:
> With event bubbling model used for scripting, every element potentially
> be interactive.

No, potentially "enabled".

> The user agent can make pretty good assumptions from the
> markup that elements with an "on" event hander, marked up as a link or
> input controls is an interactive element.  Other elements maybe
> based on scripting, which is difficult or impossible for the user agent
> determine from markup.  Maybe the term non-interactive needs to defined
> terms of "recognized through markup".

I think the document is already sufficient on this front.

1) The definition states:
    "A non-interactive element is an element that, by specification,
     does not have associated behaviors."

   It is thus only by virtue of specification (whether markup language
   style sheets) that something would be considered interactive or

2) The applicability provision is always in force anyway. So if not
recognized, it
   doesn't apply.

 _ Ian

Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783