Re: Responses to Opera issues raised during third last call of UAAG 1.0 I

Response in JRG:
At 01:35 AM 7/12/2001 +0200, Jonny Axelsson wrote:
> >   "1.Allow configuration so that moving the content focus to or from
> >   an enabled element does not automatically activate any explicitly
> >   associated event handlers."
> >
> >The informative Note that follows gives examples for HTML:
> >
> >   "For instance, in this configuration for an HTML document, do not
> >   activate any handlers for the 'onfocus', 'onblur', or 'onchange'
> >   attributes. In this configuration, user agents should still apply
> >   any stylistic changes (e.g., highlighting) that may occur when
> >   there is a change in content focus."
>
>I just want a clarification here. Normal behaviour when an element gets a
>focus is to activate onfocus and UI events and trigger the :active or :focus
>pseudo-classes. We don't do that for keyboard access (e.g. A or TAB)
>currently, and the checkpoint prevents us from doing in the future.
>
>Alternatively (preferably?) this is a toggle to be set either in our
>accessibility panel or our javascript panel to turn off some (all?) events
>triggered as a part of normal document navigation. There is no need for such
>a toggle for CSS :active, :hover, :focus.

JRG: The default behavior of a user agent should be to trigger 'onfocus',
'onblur' and 'onchange' in a device independent manner which would include
keyboard commands that move focus to links.  The guidelines ask for a
configuration option to not have these event triggered automatically, but
allow the user to manually trigger the events using additional commands.