Re: [PROPOSAL] Checkpoint 4.1Configure text size.

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:19:16 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
CC: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Jon Gunderson wrote:

> Response in JRG:
>
> Ian said:
> >So, a UA could conform by only supporting the largest font (which I
> >don't
> >think that they would do in practice). I think that supporting only one
> >large font would lead to poor usability. Some variation is required so
> >that
> >users can balance size requirements with the desire to optimize how much
> >data the user can view. I am uncomfortable saying that one big font
> >meets
> >the accessibility (and usability) requirements of users with low vision.
>
> JRG: I guess it comes down to whether the working group trusts developers
> to pick an usable lower limit or the user agent guidelines requiring a
> lower limit in many cases that is clearly not usable by anyone (e.g. 1
> point).  I really don't think any user agent developer who wants people to
> use their technology would hardwire the largest size font size for a
> particular font family.

I agree that that is unlikely.

I am uncomfortable with a scenario where the user has available
9, 10, and 80 points only as I think that for many users, 80 points
will not result in a usable environment, and 36 points would be
a much better solution. In fact, 80 points would make browsing
nearly unusable for many people.

I think more granularity is required, and in the past we have
not been able to establish with certainty any granularity other
than "everything".

Is there a way to get
 a) Biggest font.
 b) A few other big fonts.

That's why I mentioned in passing: the top half of the size range.

 _ Ian

Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783