Re: Responses to Tantek Çelik issues raisedduring third last call of UAAG 1.0

Tantek,

The main difference between what I think you want and what the group can
provide is you would like something based upon usability of the rendered
fonts, especially in the Macintosh environment.  We tried that approach and
invited font experts to help in defining minimal usable sizes based on
pixels or something else.  Our main obstacles in achieving a minimum limit
based on a minimal size in pixels were internationalization and hardware
issues.   The groups only other choice was to say whatever the operating
environment supported.  This is approach is based on system capability and
not on usability as we had wished.  It is assumed by using this requirement
that the system would provide a set of usable font sizes.  The limitation
of this approach, as you have pointed out, is that it may require user
agents to render content that is in a font size that is not very usable to
anyone.  But that is the best the working group can currently provide.  We
are open to suggestions to improve this (or any part) of UAAG specifications.

So the group resolved not to specify a minimum size in pixels in either the
guidelines or techniques document.
This problem is part of the statement that was included in the 22 June draft:

"This checkpoint does not include a "lower bound" (above which text sizes
would be required) because of how users' needs may vary across writing
systems and hardware."

Questions:
1. What capabilities does the Mac OS environment provide to developers for
specifying the size of text rendered on the graphical display?

2. What system resources are available to allow the user to choose the font
sizes available for a particular font family?

This dialog today has refreshed my memory of this important and difficult
issue.

Jon