Re: Proposal: Delete (special case) checkpoint 1.2

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:46:43 -0500
To: Denis Anson <danson@miseri.edu>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Denis Anson wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I took the two checkpoints to refer to the chrome of the browser versus
> the content of the page respectively.  Perhaps the notes need to make
> the distinction more clear.  But I think that the two issues are quite
> different.

Checkpoint 1.1 refers to *everything* you can do with the UA: both
chrome and content. Therefore, 1.2 is really a very specific part
of 1.1.

That's why 1.1 says "operate the user agent fully." If it's not
clear that it means content + chrome, we need to make it clearer.

 _ Ian

> Checkpoint 1.2 of the 9 March draft [1] reads:
>
>    1.2 Ensure that the user can interact with all enabled
>        elements through keyboard input alone, and
>        pointing device input alone, and voice input alone.
>
> This requirement is covered by checkpoint 1.1:
>
>    1.1 Ensure that the user can operate the user agent fully
>        through keyboard input alone, and pointing
>        device input alone, and voice input alone.
>
> Furtheremore, the Note after 1.1 starts:
>
>    "For example, ensure that through all three input modalities,
>     the user can interact with enabled elements..."
>
> As I read this document on the plane, I felt that 1.2
> was unnecessary and could be deleted without loss.
>
>  - Ian
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010309/
>
> --
> Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
> Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
> Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842