Navigation without side-effects

From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronl@netscape.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:24:32 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ui@w3.org
Apologies for all the emails, I'm going through my meeting notes ....

At the meeting we discussed a feature for being able to navigate without
setting off any event handlers.
This means  users would need to be able to move to a new element without
the focus going to that element.
I was told this is probably only useful for blind users.

I can only assume that the last focused element would still be visible
from the CSS :focus pseudo class style binding.

Would it not be necessary to make the element that you'ved moved to, but
isn't focused, visible?
I don't remember what we call that, but there's not CSS concept for it,
so I'm not sure how we'd allow the user to configure the appearance of
it. In addition you'd have the confusion of 2 different elements with a
different visual indications of having the user's attention.

Thoughts?

Aaron