Re: Mouse Snap/Zap functionality

Tim Lacy wrote:

> Good and bad news, all of which I will deny if asked:
>
> 1)  We've already built this capability into Narrator.  If you are running
> W2K, you can play around with it.  Theoretically, it should be doable to put
> that functionality in a stand-alone utility (so you'd have your screen
> reader and 'mouse-follows-focus' behavior).  I have no idea if we'd want to
> do that, but will look into it.
>
> 2)  This does not fix the problem, in particular on microsoft.com.   You do
> get the menu, but because that sub menu is appended to (not inserted in) the
> tab order, your mouseover follows the focus and the submenu disappears.

Too bad. By "appended to" you mean "at the very end of the page,
after all other links".

Can the append be changed to insert? It would not change the
behavior the mouse-user perceives in any case (since the mouse
user is not making use of the tab order).

Is the content (the N links) that appears on the mouseover inserted
into the DOM? If so, where?

> It occurs to me, then, that the more better way would be to a) inform the
> user that this link goes to a script-thingie, allowing them to b) send a
> mouse-over via the keyboard to activate the script-widget if they so choose.

That won't work for blind users, will it?

> I'm quite certain also that the browser folks do not want to do any more
> repair, and this one is really complex.

Thanks for following up on this, Tim.