Re: Repair of Pointer Based Events

Certainly it is an acceptable part of a solution.

What is missing from mousekeys is the ability to navigate from element to
element, or indeed to really know where the mouse is non-visually in terms of
the document structure. What is missing from commmon keyboard implementations
is the ability to fire mouse events.

The simplest technique for getting this to work that I can think of is to
provide a function that brings the mouse cursor/pointer to the location of
the currently focussed element. This provides for mouse hover, and the rest
is already available using mousekeys - in other words operating system
standards. (I haven't tried to implement this - how easy it is depends on the
window management system being used.)

As far as I can tell that would satisfy the user requirement and
the various checkpoint requirements. Albeit not the most elegant of user
interfaces, is possibly good enough that people won't worry what is the most
elegant for a while longer.

cheers

Charles McCN

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Jon Gunderson wrote:

  Response in JRG to CMN:

  >[snip]
  >   The reasons for reducing the requirement for active elements:
  >   1. We do not have any implementation experience for this feature.
  >
  >MouseKeys implements this feature. The only bit it does not commonly provide
  >is the abilitry  to move the mouse cursor to a point that has been reached by
  >keyboard navigation (which isn't explicitly required by the feature - it is
  >just a technique that leverages the fact that mousekeys is readily available
  >on common platforms such as linux, MacOS, Windows)

  JRG: Would you consider mouse keys to be an acceptable part of a solution
  to this repair function?