Re: Repair of Pointer Based Events

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:53:02 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
CC: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>, WAI PF group <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I can't speak for PF, but personally I very strongly disagree with the
> reasons for reducing the priority or removing the requirement. Further
> comments below.
[snip]

>   3. This is a repair requirement for poor authoring practices and including
>   the requirement will continue to support poor authoring practices
>
> True, but only in the sense that including the requirement means that users
> can get acess to content even if authors are bad at what they do. It seems
> likely that some authors will always use poor practices, so some users will
> always need to be able to make use of repair functions. And good authoring
> practices are in this context close to being just another repair function.

This version of UAAG 1.0 intentionally does not include much in the
way of repair functionality. Is there a reason why this (if it's
considered repair) should have more weight than other repair
features that have not been included?

I don't think that "authors will always do the wrong thing" is a
good reason to push the requirement to user agent developers. We
have a hard enough time getting specs implemented properly.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842