Re: Client-side redirection is timed input

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:40:25 -0500
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
CC: Greg Lowney <greglo@microsoft.com>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Al Gilman wrote:

[snip]
> The "it breaks the 'back' function" problem is a genuine problem, but this is
> the subject of the content guideline to use HTTP redirects and not HTML
> refresh
> to accomplish redirects.  I am not sure we want to ask the browsers to repair
> 'back' in this instance when the problem is broken content and the
> preponderance of browsers support a history which affords a reasonably
> understandable workaround.

Nonetheless, I recommend the following for the techniques document
(after we tell authors to use server-side redirects):

   "The user agent may provide a configuration so that when the
    user navigates "back" through the user agent history to a page
    with a client-side redirect, the user agent does not re-execute
    the client-side redirect."

This might even be a helpful technique in general: when I
move back, don't re-execute scripts except on demand, don't
refresh the cache except on demand, etc.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842