Re: [Issue 512] Seeking lower bound on text size requirement

From: gregory j. rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
aloha, rich!

Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> Or third,
>
> Do we simply say to support system font size for window text (as the
> smallest displayable font until overridden by a style sheet) so that the
> user be able to tailor them for the user. You could go as far as to say the
> system is responsible for providing the fonts and the dependency is on the
> system. One would assume the system would address font sizes based on the
> expected device size.

GJR: the third of the statements included in your reply to david is (a)
the most sensible approach, (b) a very sucinct articulation of the points
that several of us made at the UA telecon, and (c) one which keeps UAAG
clear of the briar patch of setting a minimum, especially in light of the
wide variety of "acceptable" slash baseline minimums and guttering
requirements and considerations outlined by richard ishida in the post
archived at:
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2001AprJun/0196.html>

so, if we are going to make any sort of statement concerning a lower
bound, i'd support your third suggestion...

gregory
LEARNING, n.  The kind of ignorance distinguishing the studious.
                     -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net