Re: Belated HTML WG last-call comments to User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0

Steven Pemberton wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> > IJ: As Jon points out in his email, DOM is required for Level A
> > conformance. We have received a lot of comments, such as "What about
> > kiosks or environments where there is no communication with
> > assistive technologies?" to which we answered (in section 1.2
> > of the document): we are not aiming at those user agents for UAAG 1.0.
> >
> > Nor are we concerned in UAAG 1.0 with mobile devices or other
> > environments where DOM implementation would be a heavy footprint
> > burden.
> >
> > We are requiring the DOM so that assistive technologies have access
> > to content in a manner that allows them to track changes to
> > content in a structured and efficient manner.
>
> So if I have a voice browser that follows all the other guidelines, but
> doesn't have scripting, it cannot be level A compliant?

That is correct. In this case, the DOM is being required not
as an interface for scripts, but as an interface for
assistive technologies.

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783