RE: [Issue 512] Seeking lower bound on text size requirement

Rich,

The problem here is that this restriction is based on the low-resolution
of the television, which is a function of interlacing the drawing.

A real issue there is that text resolution may differ in different
platforms.  There are two ways to deal with things that are below the
resolution of a platform: render anyway, knowing that the user won't be
able to read the text (possibly by "greeking"), or to change the
formatting of text so that it meets the resolution of a specific
platform.

To provide access to all content, the second approach is preferable, but
can we say that you have to know what the "lower limit" will be?
Obviously, it would make no sense to say that browsers must provide all
fonts down to 18 point, or display all text at a minimum of 18 points.
This would not meet the needs of the computer based, or PDA based
browser.  But saying that you have to render down to 6 point font won't
make sense to a WebTV appliance.

On the other hand, a browser manufacturer probably knows the platform
that is being targeted.  IE for Windows won't be running on a WebTV
platform, and AvantGo for Palm won't be running on a PC.  It might be
the better part of valor to deal with the issue by saying that you must
render text in a minimum size that is readable based on the resolution
of the target platform for the browser.  This will be different for
different types of browser.  The upper limit of text size is also a
function of the display resolution of a browser, since a display size
that cannot show an entire letter at once would not be useful.

Denis Anson, MS, OTR/L
Assistant Professor
College Misericordia
301 Lake St.