RE: Accessibility of ALT texts

From: gregory j. rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:53:11 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>, <lois@lois.co.uk>
jim allan wrote:

quote
In Windows, the attributes of the ALT text is controlled by the operating
system display parameters for "tool tips" (Control Panel | Display |
Appearance | Item | Tooltip). The user has controls of font size, background
color, and font weight (plus others in combination with other system
settings). I have change my tool tips to make them easier to read since
reaching the delicate age where I require bifocals
unquote

true enough, and the information you provided can't be re-disseminated often
enough, but i was referring to the inline rendering of ALT text when image
rendering is turned off--to my knowledge tooltip generation is suppressed
when image loading is turned off...  that being said, i agree that tooltips
are a positive boon to a large segment of users, and control over tooltip
size is an important issue (and, i would argue, a requirement for UAAG
compliance), but exposition of ALT via a tooltip is an implementation
decision, and not something defined by the HTML/XHTML specs...

gregory.