Fw: problem web pages

I think this is an interesting discussion about page refreshing.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Lewis" <ricklew@shellworld.net>
To: <jfwlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: problem web pages

Hi, All,
I believe that the issue of refreshing pages, working with MSAA and JFW,
really needs to be addressed.
Users should have the option of not refreshing pages if they so choose,
or
only manually doing so.
For anyone who says that the page controls the refresh rate, that's true
to an extent.
But the user should be allowed more control.
Secondly, using insert-F7, if you try to search for something just
before
a refresh, the search won't work.
I'd think that some sort of buffer could be designed in the program
which
would maintain the asked-for item until the refresh completes, then
complete the request.
Finally, I think we need a mechanism in JFW or MSAA to maintain, or
re-establish position, in a refreshed page so one needn't have to find
one's place again after a refresh.
Some might say that this is an issue to take up with web designers, but
feel that results would be better if done on the adaptive software end.
Often, convincing a webmaster something should be done is like calling
your
cable company and asking that they add a channel.
I've been on websites which refresh every 15 seconds to provide
ever-changing advertising scenery.
We need access methods which allow for choice.
The regular user of these websites doesn't have the whole page re-orient
to the top or some other random location.
Neither should we.
--Rick

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, David Poehlman wrote:

> the page is refreshing.  try pressing escape to see if the refresh
> stops.

Visit the JFW ml web page at http://jfw.cjb.net
To send a message to the list, use jfwlist@yahoogroups.com
To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to