Re: Equivalency, Languages, Checkpoint 2.3

At 05:12 PM 2000-11-01 -0500, Hansen, Eric wrote:
>Jon,
>
>I have a few observations about your proposal [1].
>
>#1. The meaning of the term "alternative" in this context is not clear.
>Specifically, it is not clear whether the "element" is to be considered an
>"alternative".

AG::

In standard English, anything _is_ an equivalent of itself, and is_not an
alternative for itself.  So in this situation, it is clear by standard English
logic that "an alternative" cannot refer to the same equivalent as does "the
element."  Further, "its alternatives" is guaranteed not to refer back to the
equivalent that happended to be started with as "the element."  There is
miniscule chance that someone could get confused in (4) where it says "the
alternatives" instead of "its alternatives." This small chance could be
removed
by saying "its alternatives" as in (3).

>#2. Because of issue #1, the proposal does not capture the bi-directional
>navigation that I thought was desired. My suggestion that made use of the
>term "equivalency group" tried to solve this problem by clarifying the
>meanings of "alternative" and "element". For example, the term "element" was
>used as a "role" [2] that distinguished it from the other role of
>"alternative".

AG::

I am sorry there was this confusion.  At least I, for one, was not attempting
to change what I felt to be the substance of the checkpoint, only to make sure
that the checkpoint was clearly stated.  To this end, it is helpful that this
language is clear without the need for any neologisms.

I certainly hope that it is safe to say that the user can inspect the
alternatives, and that they then can get back about their business without our
having to say that, too.  If the user agent implements this so that inspecting
the alternatives leaves the user with no return path; that user agent will, in
the market, get what they deserve.

As I said a while ago, I read techniques (3) and (4), if either were
implemented alone in the absense of technique (1), to mean that the full
set of
equivalents, including the one mentioned as "the element" to start or
displayed
by author default to start, are not treated entirely interchangeably.  This is
not something I was trying to get changed.

Since, as the latest suggestion has demonstrated, it is possible to make the
checkpoint quite clear in plain, natural English, that is what we should do.

>#3. The term "element" is really not necessary here, since a more exact term
>-- "equivalency target" -- is already available. To use the term "element"
>here begs the question regarding which meaning of element is being referred
>to. By the using the word, "equivalency target", that ambiguity disappears.
>I suggest sticking with better-defined terms when they will do the job.

The term "equivalency target" is a good example of bad language.  It is an
oxymoron that the world, and particularly the UAAG, will do much better
without.  There is no convincing need to clarify the language that was
suggested, as it is clear and any literate reading would get the intended
meaning out of it.

Consider the quote:

2.3 For elements with author specified equivalents, provide easy access to
all equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:
(1) allowing configuration to render one the alternatives instead of the
element;

Here it is crystal clear from standard English that "the element" refers to
any
element satifying the prefatory restrictive prepositional phrase "For elements
with..."

Interpretation of "the alternatives" as "the other equivalents" is not
guaranteed by their dictionary meaning alone.  However, in the context of this
sentence there is no other reasonable interpretation; so the meaning is safe.

What meaning would you think that people would read into _the checkpoint_ that
is not proper?

>#4. I would recommend using singular terms where possible. For example,
>instead of "For elements with author specified equivalents, ...", say "For
>any element with author-specified equivalents, ...". This would, I think,
>clarify the intent.

AG::

This is unnecessary, but it does also say the right thing.  The use of "the
element" in the four method descriptions makes it certain that we are dealing
with the elements selected by the 'for' phrase one at a time.

>#5. Related to issue #4 is the issue of why we exclude system-generated
>equivalency relationships from the checkpoint. The original wording (23
>October 2000 draft) does not exclude system-generated equivalency
>relationships. I have some preference for including all equivalency
>relationships, not just author-specified ones, though I think that handling
>just the author-specified ones might be okay, if there is some good reason
>to exclude them.

AG::

I would agree that 2.3 should probably apply to "user agent recognized"
equivalents, not just "author specified" equivalents, if there is any
difference.

Can anyone think of an example?  What was meant by a system-generated
equivalency?  What part of the system is generating this relationship or
content?  Is this captured in an issue that ever crossed through the issues
list?

Al

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0193.html>http://
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0181.html>http://