Definitions of Element, Text Element, etc.

Definitions of Element, Text Element, etc.

I appreciate Al Gilman's very thoughtful response to my memo "Revision to
the definition of 'Element'".

I think that at the outset, I see resolving the glossary entry for "Element"
as related to but not on the critical path for a resolving of the definition
of "Equivalent". The definition of Equivalent will continue to receive
attention through the Last Call period.

Ian's draft of today (21 October 2000) does not change the entry for
"Element" and that is okay with me.

Several of Al's points do resonate with me. Although I may not grasp the
full significance of all of Al's arguments, I accept at face value his
statement such as: "There is rampant in the community an ambiguity in the
use of 'element' between denoting an actual part of an actual document
[instance] vs. an element type specified (in a DTD or otherwise) for use in
markup to delimit and classify the previous, more concrete sort of
'element.'  … Under the circustances there is no reader-safe usage except to
say 'element instance' when one means a specific part of a specific
document, and 'element type' when one specifically means a category of the
above, such as for example all the element types defined in HTML, the
dialect of SGML." In other words some of the problems in the usage of the
term 'element' are ongoing and seemingly pervasive. While I am glad to use a
discussion of equivalent to illuminate these important issues, at the same
time I do not want the full burden for resolving such issues to be placed
upon the definition of equivalent. The problems that Al cites did not
originate with 'equivalent' nor should the definition of equivalent be
obliged to definitively resolve all these issue before moving forward.

In trying to at least partially separate the resolution of 'element' issues
from 'equivalent' issues, I am not saying that his memo unduly entwined
them. (Indeed, it was I who 'entwined' them in suggesting that the
definition of 'element' be modified to better reflect usage in terms such as
'text element'!) I mainly want to alert readers that in my view, the basic
adequacy of the definition of 'equivalent' does not hinge upon further
clarification of issues surrounding the glossary entry for 'element.'

Furthermore, I do not think that this issue should in any way affect plans
for going to Last Call. I think that we have a very narrow window of
opportunity to improve the definition of "Element" before going to Last
Call. I think that it would be nice to clarify things a bit if we can, but
if we can't, then there is still no reason not to proceed.

Below I have made some notes. Sections beginning with "AG:" are comments of
Al Gilman and those beginning with "EH:" are those of Eric Hansen.
====