Re: Minority Opinion: UAAG 11.1 (Double-A Documentation)

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
The argument that supports a P2 requirement is as follows.

Documentation, as Gregory has pointed out, and the group has recognised in
the initial checkpoint, is a vital part of the toolkit a user can bring in
theri attempts to make use of a piece of software. If that documentation is
easy to use, then it removes a substantial barrier to use of the tool.

Charles McCN

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Ian Jacobs wrote:

  > Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  > >
  > [snip]
  > >
  > > My proposal is therefore to resolve this by adding a checkpoint at Priority
  > > level 2 or 3 (according to how importantly the groups rates ease of
  > > documentation use as a precondition of effective use of a tool), more or less
  > > as follows:
  > >
  > >  Ensure that at least one version of the product documentation conforms to
  > >  at least Level Triple-A of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
  > >  [WCAG10]. [Priority 2or3]
  >
  > I would support  P3 checkpoint to this effect and oppose a P2
  > checkpoint to this effect.

  Actually, let me change that opinion: if we agree to this P3
  checkpoint at today's teleconference, I would support it. Otherwise,
  it will hold up going to last call and I will object to adding it.

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France