Re: "Equivalency" in UAAG/WCAG, Checkpoint 2.3

Just for preliminaries, let me say that I think we agree 100% on the
facts.  It
is just the theories, and how theory and logic plays in the application of the
checkpoint, that we haven't quite synchronized on.

Likewise for the proposed implementation in the document, there is 98%
agreement.  I have some wordsmithing to offer, but I think that may be
acceptable to you as a friendly amendment.

[In between come the screams of math teacher pain...]

At 07:55 PM 2000-10-16 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Here's an attempt to summarize at least two issues being raised
>and my views:
>
> a) Issue 1: Can all equivalents be entirely symmetric?
>
>    I believe the answer to this is no, and that means that
>    the next question is moot: "Should WAI require that all
>    equivalents be symmetric?"

AG::

Nobody is asking the pairs to be exactly alike.  What is being asked is that
the pattern that they are checked against is symmetrical (common content in
different forms).  Matching that pattern is enough to trigger the user-control
requirements of checkpoint 2.3.  The rest, whether there are articulable
differences or orderings among the equivalents, does not factor in whether 2.3
applies or not.  Sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't.  The options
may be wildly different.  But in some cases, such as subtitles which are
all in
second languages relative to the audio track, there is no intrinsic pecking
order among the choices.  The purpose is to write a rule which fits the full
range of cases where we want it to apply.

The point is not that it is important to thump symmetry in the language of the
checkpoint.  The point is that the condition we wish to apply is "common
[information] content in different forms."  [Not _identical_ information
content in different encodings,]  Because there are valid cases of this rule
where there is no proper (intrinsic to the information) ordering among the
alternatives, it is good not to thump asymmetry as though it were true in all
cases.  I am just trying not to purge the rule of the appearance that it
depends on the existence of a prime/alternate polarization of the
relationship.  The rule applies more generally than this common case.  So we
should state the general rule.

The equivalency we are talking about is still pretty rough in many
instances.

But this is the point of the Webster quote that Eric gave us.  People talk
about plane figures as equivalent when they fail to be isometric, i.e.
identical, but still have the same area, for example.  The point is that
equivalent connotes a level of approximation or abstraction in the similarity
relationship, quite different from equality which would be equivalent in every
detail.  The term 'equivalent,' even in its generic, symmetric sense, does not
mean 'identical.'

So when I am told, "we shouldn't treat the equivalency as symmetrical because
it is not an identity," I don't really know where to turn.

Identity guarantees equivalency, but not the reverse.

Nowhere, in arguing that the language of checkpoint 2.3 should avoid implying
asymmetry in the equivalence relationship, am I suggesting that the
language of
2.3 should imply that all equivalents are equal.

>    [For the purposes of this email, sets of content A, B, and C
>    are "symmetric equivalents" if, with the appropriate
>    environment and software, they all provide exactly the
>    same browsing experience to some users. I suspect that there
>    will be interesting commentary on this definition...]
>
> b) Issue 2: Should we use another word than "equivalent" to
>    describe relationships that may not be symmetric for the
>    user?
>
>    No. Refer to proposal below.

AG::

This is the whole point.  The order relationship that matters is one that only
the user knows.  That is why they have to have access to the controls.  The
rule that the browser follows cannot presume to know the ordering in the
user's
assessment.  So the browser threats the options as all available,
symmetrically, to the user without prejudice.

>ISSUE 1: Can all equivalents be entirely symmetric?
>
>Al writes:
>  "The order [among alternatives] is often present, but it
>   comes in addition to the equivalency we care about,
>   not as an intrinsic part."
>
>I disagree. Listening to a symphony is not the same as reading
>a musical score of that symphony (probably for everyone, including
>gifted musicians, since there is interpretation in performance).
>I don't believe that there's a "symmetric equivalent" for a
>recorded or live symphony. Therefore, if I compose a symphony,
>any attempt to provide an equivalent will necessarily result in
>an imperfect equivalent (or alternative if you prefer to avoid
>the term equivalent here). I think there is a lot

AG::

An imperfect match or imperfect correspondence.  Absolutely.  But a true
fit to
the symmetric, rough-equivalence relationship, still.

By the way, expert musicians can get more out of reading a score, even in
Braille symbology, than the tonedeaf or musical illiterate gets out of hearing
a live performance by a world class symphony orchestra.  The quality of the
experience is relative to both the user and the data.  You can only make
statements about the data in the absence of an observer by doing numbers games
across the demographics of potential observers.  It's an interesting game, but
not relevant here.  All we need is a statement of the tripwire for when the
User Agent has to give the user the option as to what version they are
presented.

>of content for which the author simply cannot provide a
>browsing experience that is "exactly the same" for some
>users (including some users with disabilities). Al writes:
>
>   "there is some information that is represented in each
>    [alternative] that is the same in both [/all]."
>    This relationship is symmetrical.  This relationship is
>    general. This relationship applies to an image and its alt text.
>
>Yes, there will be "some information" captured in both pieces
>of content, but not all information (due to inherent differences
>between visual data and human language). So I disagree that
>the relationship is symmetrical.

AG::

You are confusing the full particulars of a given pair with the abstract
relationship that the pair is tested against, to see whether to kick in the
2.3
consequences.  But no matter; lots of others will be confused unless we
emphasize the roughness of the equivalence.  [read on...]

>I propose that we should not attempt to apply a strict
>mathematical framework when talking about "equivalence"
>in WAI Guidelines. Or, please propose a definition
>of "symmetric" that allows one to tell mathematically
>that an image and its text equivalent are symmetric
>in meaning.
>
>ISSUE 2: Should we use another word than "equivalent" to
>    describe relationships that may not be symmetric?
>

>2a) If we use the term "equivalent", will we confuse people?
>
>    We may confuse some people, but if we explain that
>    we are not using the term in its strict mathematical
>    sense, I think we will be ok. As Eric has pointed out,
>    the dictionary supports a non-mathematical usage.
>
>2b) Should we continue to use the word "equivalent"
>    (which is already used without a requirement
>     for symmetry in WCAG 1.0)?
>
>    I don't have particularly strong feelings about this,
>    but I think we should keep the term at least until
>    we have three Recommendations that use it in the
>    same way.
>

>PROPOSAL
>
>1) State clearly in the definition of "equivalent" that
>   we don't mean mathematical equivalence. We should state that:
>
>   (a) where possible, equivalents should be symmetric
>      (i.e., two sets of content should provide exactly
>      the same experience to some users).
>
>   (b) symmetry is impossible in some cases, and ordered
>       relationships will result: authors must provide
>       "the closest you can get to equivalent".
>
>2) Adopt most of Eric's proposed checkpoint 2.3 [1]. I think that Eric's
>  "_equivalency and similar relationships_" introduces unnecessary
>   ambiguity. I think it suffices to say in the definition of
>   "equivalent" that the goal should be true symmetry.

This mostly works for me.  Let me offer the following wordsmithing, however.

Do talk about "the other equivalent" or "the equivalent already displayed" or
some such language, as opposed to (A,B) distinguished names for different ends
of the relationship.

In separating people from a tendency to interpret the equivalency too
strongly,
we probably shouldn't talk about what we don't mean as 'symmetry.'  'Equality'
comes closer to capturing it.  For example, we could say:

"The equivalency can be pretty rough.  While the goal in providing equivalents
should be comparable functionality, to count as an equivalent something simply
has to offer a feasible alternative means of getting at some of the same
information."

Something more or less like that statement will, I hope, make what we
expect in
the way of equivalency clear.

Al

> [...]
symmetrical
>> model of equivalency, or the ordered relationship reflected in the language
of
>> the current draft.
>>
>> The alternative to the present language would be to take equivalency as
"there
>> is some information that is represented in each, that is the same in both
>> [/all]."  This relationship is symmetrical.  This relationship is general.
>> This relationship applies to an image and its alt text.  It applies to the
>> different-language subtitles for the same movie.  The point of building the
>> rule in this way is that it covers the widest range of cases with one
>> rule.  It
>> subsumes what people with disabilities need under a more general principle
>> that
>> benefits everyone.
>>
>> We fought long and hard to get the "author proposes, user disposes"
protocol
>> established as the law of !important in CSS.
>>
>> The purpose of 2.3 is to extend the guarantee of "author proposes, but user
>> disposes" to view control concerning any feasible choices in the view
>> extraction which can yield better usability for the user and still convey
the
>> same information for the author.
>>
>> We should not be writing the checkpoint narrower than that (unless we then
>> have
>> multiple checkpoints for coverage).
>>
>> Because of the breadth of applicability, the principle is somewhat
abstracted
>> from the particulars of many of the cases.  I agree it is a bit of a
>> stretch to
>> get people to think of the relationship between an image and a text phrase
as
>> one of equivalence.  So the applicability is not totally obvious.  But
people
>> can understand it when they think about it.  Many of the interesting cases
are
>> polarized or ordered in some sense, but by using the equivalency
relationship
>> (which is not so polarized or ordered) as the basis for applying the rule,
we
>> get to all the cases that we need to cover, whether there is some
additional
>> order or precedence among the equivalents or not.  The order is often
present,
>but it comes in addition to the equivalency we care about, not as an
>intrinsic
>part.
>>
>> It may be argued that this is an internal matter to be settled whithin the
>> UAAG.  On the other hand, PF has a dependency on this point.  In dealing
with
>> people defining new formats, it really helps PF to have the simple, broad
>> versions of the rule be what shows through clearly and consistently as the
WAI
> [...]
caption
>> >text is a text equivalent for the auditory track of the movie, this does
not
>> >mean that the author intends those captions, in the context of that
>> >instruction, specifically for people _with_ disabilities. Indeed, as we
have
>> >said, in this case the author intends the caption text for people
_without_
>> >disabilities (as well as people with disabilities who can benefit from
>> >them).
>> >
>> >Thus, I disagree that "The current language (in the 29 Sept. Draft) is
just
>> >primary/alternate content under new labels." Personally I believe that the
>> >ability for an author to indicate that he or she intends some piece of
>> >content for persons with certain classes of disability. (I am confident
that
>> >in some applications, this capability will prove essential.) The
importance
>> >of this ability is increased by the fact that the distinction is between
>> >equivalent and equivalency target is _not_ a vehicle for conveying such
>> >information; in any given instance, one, or both, or none of the
equivalent
>> >and the equivalency target might be intended for people with disabilities.
>> >On the other hand, the disability status of the intended audience was the
>> >_defining_ characteristic of the primary/alternative (or
primary/secondary)
>> >distinction.
>> >
>> >I will reexamine the language of the UAAG document and see if there is a
way
>> >that I can clarify this issue in the document.
>> >
>> >Thanks for giving me the opportunity to discuss this point.
>> >
>> >====
>> >
>> >Question 4. Should checkpoint 2.3 be altered to take in a greater variety
of
>> >relationships?
>> >
>> >Response:
>> >
>> >Judging from comments on the list, there seems to be quite a bit of
interest
>> >in expanding the scope of checkpoint 2.3.
>> >
>> >I think that this is a very good point to bring up. Your suggestions have
>> >helped me think through my concerns about things that don't fit into the
>> >regular mold of equivalency relationships.
>> >
>> >Here is my suggestion for checkpoint 2.3:
>> >
>> >"2.3 Where multiple elements of content within a document are related by
>> >_equivalency and similar relationships_, provide easy access to each
element
>> >among the related elements. This shall be done through at least one of the
>> >following mechanisms: (1) allowing configuration to render one element
>> >instead of other related elements; (2) allowing configuration to render
more
>> >than one of the related elements; (3) allowing the user to select a
>> >displayed element and then inspect any of the other elements; (4)
providing

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0085.html>http:/

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0086.html>http:/

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0087.html>http:/

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0429.html>http:/

<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0493.html>http:/
/lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0493.html>http://
>> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0493.html
>> >[5]

<<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary>http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictiona
ry><http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary>http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/diction
ary