Re: Minority opinons (equivalency has no 'target,' only 'partners')

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 08:07:14 -0500
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Al,
I think that the issue of having different representations of the same
information and that they are all equally valid is an important point the
guidelines should stress.  I support language (especially for checkpoint
2.3) that emphasizes this concept in the guidelines.  I like Al's proposal
for checkpoint 2.3[1].

Jon

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000OctDec/0085.html

At 09:25 PM 10/12/2000 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>This is going to sound contradictory, but I need to tell you this so there is
>no confusion later.
>
>I am prepared to argue in WCA that they should be prepared to back off on the
>separation of text and formatting, and be more tolerant of HTML inline
>formatting properties where the intent behind the formatting is captured and
>disclosed, e.g. in the markup or metadata.  This hinges on the definition of
>suitable conventions in the formats, but I would be in favor of being more
>flexible on this point is such can be arranged.
>
>But the behavior available to the user through the good offices of the user
>agent should be to remove, on user option required, any hint of bias among the
>members of an equivalence group. The requirement to make all equivalents
>(fellow members of an equivalence group) available is to be extended with full
>force regarding all of them equally, without a shred of distinction.
>
>This is the same kind of symmetry well understood in the randomization of
>candidate order in the printing of ballots.  Since the order of appearance has
>the effect of biasing the voter, the order of appearance is scrambled across
>different voters' ballots to minimize any unfairness created across the
>breadth
>of the voting populace.
>
>We need to have a logical model of equivalence relationships which is that
>simon pure, as the foundation on which the "access to all options, when there
>are equivalents," language of the UAAG is built.
>
>Al

MC-574