Re: Proposed checkpoint to support accessible authoring practices

jon gunderson wrote:

> In a recent telecon we talked about user agents supporting authors in
> creating accessible content and that this should be part of our impact
> matrix.  This got me thinking about Opera's ingnore table markup feature.
> This is useful to authors who are using tables for layout and are trying
> to comply with checkpoint 5.3 in WGAG.  I therefore propose to the group
> to consider including the following checkpoint:
>
> 3.x Allow the user to configure the user agent to ignore markup that is
> used for positioning.[Priority 3]
>
> Note: In HTML this is TR, TD, TH elements and CSS are positioning elements

I don't think we should add such a checkpoint for at least two reasons:

 - I don't like requirements that amount to "don't conform to the spec"
   (i.e., by ignoring markup intentionally).
 - Users can already override CSS with user style sheets.