Re: Textual Images vs. Styled Text, Round Two *ding*

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:50:07 -0700
To: love26@gorge.net (William Loughborough)
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, WAI ER group <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, WAI UA group <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
At 02:58 PM 9/27/2000 , William Loughborough wrote:
>At 12:01 PM 9/27/00 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>>However, it is important to recognize that HTML + CSS is _not_ a workable general replacement for images as text.
>Nor is "image as text" a workable replacement for "text as text".

Apples, oranges, William.

>At some point in the so-called "design process" that text that became "image-text" was actual "text - text". Just as the PDF text or table was once not a "scanned-type" of text. The proportion of today's text that is not at some point in its career in digital (dare I even say it "ascii") form is miniscule. I don't know why "image text" is any different than any other image in requiring a text equivalent? In short I think this is already covered early in the guidelines.

I think you may be missing the point -- the discussion has not been
about "should image text require a text equivalent", it was "should
image text be thrown out entirely for double-A compliance".

>Let me repeat "image-text is in fact image".

I don't think anyone is claiming it's not, so I'm not sure you need
to make this point so forcefully. :)  However, I think you may have
missed _my_ point, because your response doesn't really address it...

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/