Re: Are Small Text buttons level 2 compliant

This is a topic in WCAG at least (but there is a requirement on UAAG implied,
I think).

I think the thrust of what you are saying is true - that if ther is a readily
achieveable solution, then it isn't a very big problem. The definition of
readily achievable, and solution, is of course where the difficulty lies in
trying to use this as an answer.

As a first pass, I would suggest that "freely available for MacOS, Unix/Linux
and Windows operating systems, and not having compatibility problems with
Assistive technologies" is as good as anywhere as a departure point on the
search for a usable definition.

Charles McCN

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 12:08 PM -0400 9/26/00, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
  >I don't think it satisfies the user requirements for people with
  >some degree of low vision, especially if the font size is relatively
  >small.

  Devil's advocate position here:

  Doesn't the widespread availability of screen magnifiers (such as the
  one built into Windows 2000), plus the availability of screenreaders to
  read out the textual content, plus the ability to turn off images and
  view the text directly (thus scaling with user font changes), reduce
  the need for avoiding textual images?

  If we don't have to worry about providing audio streams -- because
  screenreaders exist -- then shouldn't the existence of the various
  technologies listed above likewise ease our fears regarding text
  buttons?

  We are willing to say "oh, there's technology to deal with -that-"
  for a number of items, so where is the line drawn?  (If screenreaders
  did not exist, the obligation would be on the web designer to
  provide an aural output stream for everything, no?)

  --Kynn

September - November 2000:
W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France