Re: Proposal for checkpoint 7.6 (my action item)

Response in JRG:
At 09:05 AM 9/25/2000 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>OK. This makes sense to me, so I withdraw the proposal for navigating table
>cells.
>
>I agree that the place to  repair HTML is in the HTML WG, but there may be
>many reasons why a document is not constructed with a container model. HTML
>is just one example of a type that is rarely created in this way.
>
>An alternative approach is to require that any outline (for example provided
>in accordance with 8.4) be navigable parent-child and sibling-sibling. This
>is weaker than my original proposal, since it is not clear how such an
>outline is constructed. I agree that there is a problem with the specificity
>of my proposal. An alternative would be to propose to the WCAg group that
>they make explicit their requirement for structure, in such a way that a
>checkpoint of this kind could refer to it. But that will also be complex.
>
>Charles

JRG: I agree with Ian that we need specifications that enforce structure
before we can have any strong stance in user agent to use that structure
for navigation purposes.  I will raise this issue with the coordination
group.

It seems to me that most navigation techniques are unproven at this point,
so it makes it difficult for the group to take any strong stance on any
particular technique.  Different techniques have been proposed to be useful
for people with various skills in different situations.  I think at this
point we need more general approaches to highlight the navigation problems
and with minimal requirements that benefit all users.