RE: Exporting the DOM

Ian's memo [1] is attached below with my comments labeled with "EH:"

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0366.html

EH: A statement like "Some checkpoints may not be relevant to some of the
components" begs the question, "Which checkpoints are not relevant to which
kinds of components?" You have elucidated above a principle that seems
relevant to the situation involving DOM requirements. It would be But is
that even really necessary? Instead of trying to define which ones are
relevant either piecemeal or even in bunches, is there an even simpler
approach.

Perhaps you have already suggested the approach when refer, in this case to
functionality/content that is "available to the user".

Perhaps the document should treat the subject of the claim as a "black box"
with inputs and outputs where we don't care _at all_ about the interaction
between components. Inputs to the Subject: (a) Web content from the Web
content author (including documenatation), (b) configuration settings and
control actions from the user, (c) program control data. Outputs from the
Subject: (a) Rendered content from author-supplied content and user-agent
produced content (notifications, alerts, repair info), (b) revised settings,
(c) work product (produced primarily through use of author-supplied
content), (d) history data, (e) trash (temporary files, etc.), (e) DOM
export, (f) other data export as required.

All output from the subject must be WCAG 1.0 conformant (at the AA-level),
unless other spec is applicable (e.g., DOM export) or unless it is a 'work
product' over which the user agent has no control. (Perhaps this ought to be
a checkpoint.)

I was going to say "If the foregoing is done properly then perhaps we don't
even need to specify which checkpoints a given component helps satisfy" but
I checked the 1 September UAAG document and there is no such requirement in
the claim so my comment is not necessary.

I suppose that the checkpoints need to be examined from the standpoint of
whether there is every any instance in which we must care about the