Re: Exporting the DOM

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

[snipped good discussion]

> Summary
>
> I think that this [contradiction]
> can be solved by making clear in the document that the
> subject as a whole must export the DOM, but any individual component may not
> need to export the DOM. (There may need to be further refinements,
> especially as they relate to information going to the user interface that
> does not come from the DOM.)

I agree with this. I would argue the following:

1) The subject of a claim may have many components (in fact, is likely
   to have more than one component).

2) Some checkpoints may not be relevant to some of the components.
   For instance, a component of the user agent that implements
   a search algorithm but has no user interface and does not maintain
   state in the form of a document object would not be affected by
   user interface or DOM requirements. However, if that functionality
   is available to the user, then it needs to be documented, so
   Guideline 11 applies.

3) The subject as a whole must satisfy the requirements of the
   document. The subject must export the DOM for access to the
   document object, whichever component or components contribute
   to that document object.