Re: On Prompt/Notify/Advise/Alert

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:04:00 -0500
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

With respect the discussion on requiring DOM 2, I see that there is no
reference to using the DOM 2 event model in the requirements. While there
are issues with PF needing device independence addressed, the mutuation
events as well as the referred to device independent events, such as
DOMFocusIn, in the event model are very useful to assisstive technologies.
In the 18 August draft checkpoint 5.5 dicsusses programmatic notification
of changes to the document and focus. The techniques refers to DOM level 2
events.

Should 5.5 require the DOM level two event model API for these types of
events? Or, should we have a special case P3 requirement, like that
provided for CSS that would require the use of the DOM 2 event model for
these events.

I don't want to slow down the document but since 5.5 refers to DOM 2 in the
techniques this requirement isn't really new.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Lead Architect, IBM Accessibility Center
Research Division
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost