Re: Validity, Applicability, Native Support, etc.

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

> Date: 17 August 2000
> To: UA List
> From: Eric Hansen
> Re: Validity, Applicability, Native Support, etc.
>
> I have a number of suggestions that I think that solve some of the issues
> that we are dealing with.

Hi Eric,

I will address those points not mentioned below separately.

I will try to take the following comments into account in the upcoming
draft:

<INCLUDED>
> Suggestion 1: Acknowledge that no single user agent is likely to fulfill all
> the capabilities.

> Suggestion 2: Delete references to native support and add a definition of
> operating system.
</INCLUDED>

> Suggestion 4: Add a Priority 1 checkpoint that requires basic presentation
> features.
>
> The current guidelines miss out on requiring the basic presentation
> capabilities of general-purpose graphical user agents. I think that this was
> so obvious that it was missed. But I think that it is important. How can a
> general-purpose graphical user agent be considered "accessible" or
> conformant if it does not provide these capabilities? One can argue that
> they are implied in other checkpoints, but I think that greater clarity is
> warranted.
>
> New:
>
> "Provide capabilities for visual presentation of text, graphics, animation,
> video, audio, and sound. [Priority 1]"
>
> Comment 1:
>
> I don't suppose that we need to specially mention "tables" since that is
> like a form of "graphic". Does the above checkpoint cover it?

Your suggestion 4 was considered at one point. We did not include
a checkpoint for the following reasons:

1) Support for basic presentation features affects all users, therefore,
   it's not a requirement for an accessible user agent.

2) We do require conformance to implemented specifications, and those
   specifications say what to do in the way of presentation,
interaction,
   etc.