Re: PROPOSAL: The meaning of "Easy access" in checkpoint 2.3

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:26:00 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
CC: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Jon Gunderson wrote:

> How about this then:
>
> <NEW1>
> 2.3 If content available in a viewport has equivalent alternatives, provide
> access to the alternative equivalents by either substituting the
> alternative equivalent for the primary content, rendering the alternative
> as part of the primary content (both at the same time) or providing a link
> to the alternative equivalent from the primary content.
> <NEW1>

I'm almost ok with that. I still think that we need to allow
the user agent developer to provide access through the UI
rather than in content. Here's a shot:

 <NEW_UI>
 2.3 If content available in a viewport has equivalent alternatives,
   provide easy access to the alternative equivalents
   through at least one of the following mechanisms:
    - Allowing configuration to render alternative
      instead of primary content.
    - Allowing configuration to render alternative in addition to
      primary content.
    - Providing a direct link to the alternative in content,
      just before or after the primary content.
    - Allowing the user to select the primary content and then
      inspect its alternatives.
 <NEW_UI>

Notes:

1) I put back the word "easy" since that helps understand the
   rationale.

2) I hesitate to put four techniques in a checkpoint, but if
implementing any one of them would mean that the UA met the
requirement, then I'm ok with that level of specificity.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842