Comments on min/max for speech synthesizer voice characteristics

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:54:49 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

This morning, Jon and I discussed the current efforts of the
Working Group [1] to identify min/max values for various speech
synthesizer parameters: speech rate, pitch, gender, pitch range,
stress, and richness. Jon made the point (as he has in email [2])
that values for various parameters are usually attained through
communication between the user agent and the speech engine
(which I take to be software, hardware, or both).

Based on Jon's comments, I propose the following:

 1) We do not put minimal requirements for speech parameters
    in the Guidelines, but instead state how the range of values for
    the parameters in question is determined. In Jon's email [2],
    for example, he lists the parameters available through the SAPI
    interface [3]. (Is there HTML documentation for SAPI on the Web,
    or do I have to download software or a big document to read
    about the interface?)

    I do not have a proposal for how to express this communication,
    and welcome input from those versed in speech synthesizer

 2) We should put some example ranges in the Techniques document.
    Thus, the min/max range for speech rate of 100 to 700
    words/minute would be listed in Techniques, as well as any
    other data people submit.

 3) We refer developers also to CSS aural style sheets.

 - Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0000.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JulSep/0002.html
[3] http://www.microsoft.com/IIT/documentation/online.htm
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842