Re: new real player 7

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:03:28 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
At 01:25 PM 2000-03-30 -0500, Madeleine Rothberg wrote:
>Thanks for alerting me to this, David. We're playing with it but haven't
>yet figured out how to code the audio descriptions to be turned on and off.
>They don't seem to be using either a SMIL 1.0-like attribute (similar to the
>system-captions attribute) or the SMIL-Boston attribute systemAudioDesc.
>
>Also, we noticed that they made captions and audio descriptions mutually
>exclusive by using radio buttons to choose between them. Anyone besides
>us think it would be useful to have independent control over the two
>features?

Not just yes, but !@#$ yes, as Love would say <grin>.

We need your consensus to prod PF into taking the position that _all_ of
these things belong as 'bag' semantics where a multiple selection is
possible in the base-level definition, and the "pick only one" behavior is
not the base definition but an overlaid default, which can be rolled back
by the right kind of user intervention.

For a concrete scenario (just one stab):

The person wishing both captions and audio descriptions has some hearing
loss but not total; and also enough vision impairment to use a screen
magnifier.  The captions are necessary because in this cinema_verite the
dialog is in barely decipherable grunts, while the audio descriptions are
articulated with a bell-like tone that needs no text alternative.  So the
user processes the dialog in audio+caption+magnifier and catches up with
what the magnifier leaves out by the audio descriptions in audio.

[The generic answer is that "both" ususally involves a scenario with a user
with functional impairment, but not total functional loss, in two modes.]