W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2000

MINUTES(edited): W3C WAI User Agent Telecon 9 March 2000

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 15:32:48 -0600
Message-Id: <4.1.20000309153106.00a948a0@staff.uiuc.edu>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Attendance

Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

RSVP Present:
David Poehlman 
Charles McCathieNevile 
Gregory J. Rosmaita 
Hans Riesebos
Mickey Quenzer 
Harvey Bingham 
Eric Hansen
Mark Novak
Marja-Riitta Koivunen
Rich Schwerdtfeger
Dick Brown

Regrets: 
Kitch Barnicle

Absent: 
Denis Anson
Jim Allan



Action Items

Open Action Items

   1.IJ: Add rationale to Checkpoint 1.5: if you're deaf blind you might
need this (Braille display). 

   2.CMN: Suggest some techniques related to the good bits of the DOM Level
2 event module (related to checkpoint on notification 5.4). 

New Action Items 

   1.IJ: Put up meeting page for FTF meeting 10-11 April 2000 

   2.IJ: For checkpoint 4.16 add to definition of Configure that users
should be able to save settings. 

   3.IJ: Send proposal to clarify checkpoint 4.16 today 

   4.IJ: For checkpoint 5.1, add a reference to the XHTML Recommendation 

   5.IJ: For checkpoint 5.1, add a technique to take into DOMs defined by
other specifications (e.g., SVG). 

   6.IJ: For checkpoint 6.2, fix bug and explain what a W3C Rec is in the
techniques document 

   7.IJ: For checkpoint 9.4, change "portion" to "proportion" 

   8.IJ: For checkpoint 10.4, add "in" a profile. 

   9.IJ: Add something to document section about documentation with the
product or available elsewhere. (in repsonse to GR concerns) 

Completed Action Items

   1.IJ: Split checkpoint 5.1 (28 January Draft) into read and UI write as
stated in minutes
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   2.IJ: Add a cross-reference from 2.1 to 5.1 and say in 5.1 that this is
a special case of 2.1
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   3.IJ: Add techniques to checkpoint 7.2 for synchronous multi-media
presentation (space and time)
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   4.IJ: Ensure that techniques for checkpoint 1.5 talk about using status
bar to display message 
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   5.IJ: Incorporate proposal for checkpoint 1.5 from minutes 
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   6.IJ: Update the document based on todays resolutions on 9 March Telecon
     http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000308/ 

   7.DB: Ask IE Team about publication of review of IE 5 and Pri 1 checkpoints
     Discontinued 

   8.DP: Send NN profile info
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0460.html 

   9.JA: Rewrite techniques for 3.3 
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0482.html 

  10. MR: Review techniques for topic 3.1 (Multi-media) 
     Discontinued 

  11. MR: Review techniques for Guideline 4 (Multi-media) 
     Discontinued 

Minutes

Next meeting: 16 March

Agenda [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0454.html 

1) Review of Open Action Items

IJ All done except maybe number 7. 

1.IJ: Split checkpoint 5.1 (28 January Draft) into read and UI write as
stated in minutes 

2.IJ: Add a cross-reference from 2.1 to 5.1 and say in 5.1 that this is a
special case of 2.1 

3.IJ: Add techniques to checkpoint 7.2 for synchronous multi-media
presentation (space and time) 

4.IJ: Ensure that techniques for checkpoint 1.5 talk about using status bar
to display message 

5.IJ: Incorporate proposal for checkpoint 1.5 from minutes 

6.IJ: Update the document based on todays resolutions on 9 March Telecon 

7.IJ: Add rationale to Checkpoint 1.5: if you're deaf blind you might need
this (Braille display). 
Status: Not done. 

8.CMN: Suggest some techniques related to the good bits of the DOM Level 2
event module (related to checkpoint on notification 5.4). 

9.DB: Ask IE Team about publication of review of IE 5 and Pri 1 checkpoints 
Status: Dropped. 

10.DP: Send NN profile info. 
Status: Done. 

11.JA: Rewrite techniques for 3.3 (see minutes) 
Status: Dropped. 

12.MR: Review techniques for topic 3.1 (Multi-media) 
Status: Dropped. 

13.MR: Review techniques for Guideline 4 (Multi-media) 
Status: Dropped. 

2) Re: ftf.

IJ: If there are no objections to going to PR, we'll have a face-to-face in
New Jersey 10/11 April. 

Action IJ: Put up meeting page for ftf. 

3) Ian summary of where we are in the PR process.

4) Review of list of changes:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/wai-ua-wd-changes.html 

EH: Comments on word "automatic" in 2.3. Is this necessary? 

JG: My main concern is that people understand that the UA pauses itself. 

EH: Ok. 

HB: What about breaking sync? 

CMN: There are cases when you can't do anything about it, e.g., real world
events. 

HB: What about auction events? 

CMN: You can't slow down the real world. The requirement doesn't apply. 

GR: Auction houses notify through color changes &ltfrown> critical events. 

Checkpoint 2.6 

a) Added collated text transcript 
b) Moved note to checkpoint, added "author-supplied" synch cues. 

MK: Sounds ok to me. 

MQ: What about adding the word "indexing"? 

HB: Indexing in the sense of marking time? 

MQ: Marking time. 

Checkpoint 4.7: 

MK, EH: Ok. 

4.16: Allow the user to configure viewports, prompts, and windows opened on
user agent initiation. 

IJ: We could harmonize wording with that of 9.2. Use "not explicitly done
by the user." 

DP, CMN: Yes, 

GR: I think that the focus is to allow the user to configure whether or not
the UA. "Allow the user to configure whether the user agent will
automatically open a
viewport, prompt, or window. 

EH: That's a new requirement. 

CMN: There are other configuration issues. 

GR: It's one thing to control the size/position of something once created
and another to talk about suppressing the creation. 

IJ: As I recall, we agreed in Austin to put all of it in 4.16. 

CMN: I agree with Gregory - there are two separate requirements. 

GR: I propose to split the checkpoint: 
a) Allow the user to configure the visual rendering. 
b) Allow the user to configure alert mechanisms used on opening. 
c) Respect user settings when opening windows. 

IJ: Sounds like three: 
a) Suppress spawning AND/OR prevent focus shifting. 
b) Configure alert of spawning. 
c) Style the user interface. 

IJ: I don't think "respect user settings" get us much. 

Action IJ: Add to definition of Configure that users should be able to save
settings. 

JG: How does all this relate to focus changes (4.15)? 

IJ: Why are spawned windows an issue if there's no focus change and you're
notified? 

GR: Yes, 4.15 and 4.16 are related. 

RESOLVED: 
1) MOve note after 4.16 to 4.16 techniques with some clarification. 
2) Link from 4.16 techniques to 4.15 techs. 
3) Reword 4.16. 

Action Ian: Send proposal to list to clarify. 

Checkpoint 5.1

Action IJ: Add a reference to the XHTML Recommendation. 

Action IJ: For 5.1, add a technique to take into DOMs defined by other
specifications (e.g., SVG). ------ 

Checkpoint 5.8: 

HR: Ok 

RS: Ok. 

Checkpoint 6.2:

Bug: Ian forgot to add "available" 

Action IJ: 
- FIx bug 
- Explain what a W3C Rec is in the techniques document. 

Checkpoint 8.4:

Group: Ok. 

Checkpoint 9.4: 

Action IJ: change "portion" to "proportion" 

Checkpoint 10.7: 

Action Ian: Add "in" a profile. 

Other comments

CMN: Is minority objection propagated? 

IJ: Yes. 

GR: In the definition of documentation, it doesn't talk about updates. 

IJ: That's in 1.2. 

GR: Things that are supplemental, but provided by the vendor. 

Action IJ: Add something about with the product or available elsewhere. 

GO TO PR?

IJ: Any objections to going to PR? 

Group: None. 

Copyright    2000 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C
liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your
interactions with this site are in
accordance with our public and Member privacy statements. 


Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
College of Applied Life Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua
Received on Thursday, 9 March 2000 16:35:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:49:52 GMT