Re: Proposed clarification of checkpoint 6.2 (conforming to W3C specs)

At 2000-03-07 15:33-0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I agree with the proposal. I would prefer to say in the techniques that
>developers should pay close attention to working drafts in general, and
>particularly those that have advanced as far as candidate recommendation.

And take so seriously that they comment on the candidate or proposed
recs.

>Charles McCN
>
>On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>
>   Hello,
>
>   In the Candidate Rec of the UAAG 1.0, checkpoint 6.2 reads:
>
>      "Conform to W3C specifications when they are appropriate
>       for a task. [Priority 2]."
>
>   The WG has already resolved [2] to change the wording to:
>
>       "Use and conform to W3C specifications when they are
>        available and appropriate for a task."

Of course, this conformance implies some time lag to get into product
upgrade cycles (and their testing/debugging/reissuing.)

>   I propose changing "specifications" to "Recommendations".
>   This would narrow the scope of the requirement. It would not
>   prevent user agents from conforming to additional levels
>   of documents, but would only require conformance to
>   Recommendations. Furthermore, we should note in the Techs
>   document that developers should pay close attention to
>   Candidate Rec drafts.

I agree: Specifications to me have the presumption of standards agencies,
and glacially slow evolution, while international concurrence is obtained.
These are Technical Recommendations.