Issue CR#204: collated text transcript

From: Madeleine Rothberg <madeleine_rothberg@wgbh.org>
Date: 02 Mar 2000 17:18:45 -0500
To: "W3C-WAI-UA" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
I apologize for missing today's meeting. I was on a conflicting
conference call. I wanted to comment on issue CR#204. Here are
the minutes from today's call followed by MR: and then my comments.

9) CR#204:
   http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#204
   Add collated text to Checkpoint 2.6 and 4.8 or create a new
   checkpoint at lower priority

   Proposed Resolution:

   1.Add collated text to checkpoints
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0343.html

   MK: If it's not synchronized, no problem.
   IJ: Is this more burdensome than a caption?
   MK: Same as caption.

   Resolved: Adopt Eric's proposal.
   Action IJ: Review Eric's proposal by Friday.

MR: a text transcript would be the same content as the captions, but
without synchronization. A collated text transcript includes both the
captions (of the audio information) and the text of the description
(of the visual information). I thought we had resolved not to include a requirement on UAs for either kind of transcript because the current W3C
spec for SMIL does not support the identification of those elements.
See minutes from 22 December 1999 at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0741.html

Authors can and should provide transcripts anyway, however the UA
doesn't yet have a means to work with them programmatically.

-Madeleine

--
Madeleine Rothberg
The CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media