W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2000

MINUTES(edited): W3C WAI User Agent Telecon 1 March 2000

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 15:34:39 -0600
Message-Id: <4.1.20000301153334.00a593c0@staff.uiuc.edu>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Attendance

Chair: Jon Gunderson

Scribe: Ian Jacobs

Present:
David Poehlman 
Mickey Quenzer 
Gregory J. Rosmaita
Dick Brown
Denis Anson
Harvey Bingham
Mark Novak
Rich Schwerdtfeger
Hans Riesebos 

Regrets: 
Kitch Barnicle 
Madeleine Rothberg 



Action Items

Open Action Items

   1.IJ: Propose checkpoint to address event notification timing issue 

   2.DB: Ask IE Team about publication of review of IE 5 and Pri 1 checkpoints 

   3.JA: Rewrite techniques for 3.3 (see minutes) 

   4.MK: For 4.8 check if any media players do this? 

   5.MK: Find out techniques for sending text search requests to servers of
streamed text. 

   6.MR: Review techniques for topic 3.1 (Multi-media) 

   7.MR: Review techniques for Guideline 4 (Multi-media) 

   8.RS: Take timely and synchronization issues to WAI PF. Get input from
MSAA developers as well. Craft email to PF WG with Ian 

New Action Items 

   1.IJ: Split checkpoint 5.1 (28 January Draft) into read and UI write as
stated in minutes 

   2.IJ: Add a cross-reference from 2.1 to 5.1 and say in 5.1 that this is
a special case of 2.1 

   3.IJ: Add techniques to checkpoint 7.2 for synchronous multi-media
presentation (space and time) 

   4.IJ: Ensure that techniques for checkpoint 1.5 talk about using status
bar to display message 

   5.IJ: Incorporate proposal for checkpoint 1.5 from minutes 

   6.IJ: Add rationale to Checkpoint 1.5: if you're deaf blind you might
need this (Braille display). 

   7.DB: See if microsoft can produce HTML version of their developer
guidelines 

Completed Action Items

   1.IJ: Find out whether rendered content from style sheets appears in the
document source. 

   2.JG: for 5.3: Find out windows/mac accessibility guidelines. 
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0405.html
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0409.html 

   3.JG: Check with Ian about adding reference in 4.5 to 4.6 in regard to
stepping through animation/video/audio. 

   4.MR: Run a multimedia player through the guidelines for January. 
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0253.html 

Minutes

Next meeting: 2 March

Agenda [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0400.html 

Review of Open Action Items

1.IJ: Find out whether rendered content from style sheets appears in the
document source. 
Status: Done. The answer is no (from Philippe Le Hegaret). 

2.IJ: Propose checkpoint to address event notification timing issue 
Status: Not done. 

3.JG: for 5.3: Find out windows/mac accessibility guidelines. 
Status: Done. 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0409.html 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0405.html 

4.JG: Check with Ian about adding reference in 4.5 to 4.6 in regard to
stepping through animation/video/audio. 
Status: Done. 

5.DB: Ask IE Team about publication of review of IE 5 and Pri 1 checkpoints. 
Status: Pending. 

6.JA: Rewrite techniques for 3.3 (see minutes) 
Status: Done. (refer to minutes of last meeting). 

7.MK: For 4.8 check if any media players do this? 
Status: No info 

8.MK: Find out techniques for sending text search requests to servers of
streamed text. 
Status: No info 

9.MR: Review techniques for topic 3.1 (Multi-media) 
Status: No info 

10.MR: Review techniques for Guideline 4 (Multi-media) 
Status: No info 

11.MR: Run a multimedia player through the guidelines for January. 
Status: Done. 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0253.html 

12.RS: Take timely and synchronization issues to WAI PF. Get input from
MSAA developers as well. Craft email to PF WG with Ian 

RS: I've been working this from another angle. 

ACTION DB: See if "MS Developer Accessibility Guidelines" can be made
available as HTML. 

Announcement: Update on ftf information.

IJ: We can meet at RF and D in New Jersey. If we get the issues resolved
and the document ready, we'll have the meeting on 10-11 April. 

JB: Possibility of additional teleconf on Friday? (Some people can't attend) 

Issue CR#190: Reduce the scope of 5.1 to say "write access only for that
which you can do through the UI."

http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#190 

Proposed: Split 5.1 into: 
a) Read-only for XML/HTML DOM 2 core 
b) Write for ui controls available through content. 

IJ: I think that "b" is fairer than full write since that means that you
can do through API what you can do through the UI. 

RS: Javascript can change menus on the screen. Is there an accessibility
issue that ATs be allowed to do the same thing? 

MN: Why is this not covered by 2.1? 

JG: I think 2.1 is primarily UI. 

GR: In my post on NOFRAMES, I quoted the HTML 4.0 spec: (talks about
configured not to display frames). 

DP: What do we lose if we don't allow write access to the full core spec? 

JG: Not clear. 

DP: What about "Begin Table/End Table"? Are those written in the document
tree by the AT, or added by the AT? 

IJ: If they are walking the DOM (and not getting info from graphical
rendering), then don't need to write. AT can prepend itself. 

Resolved: Split 5.1 into: 
a) Read-only for XML/HTML DOM 2 core 
b) Write for ui controls provided through content. 

Action Ian: 
- Make this change. 
- Add a cross-reference from 2.1 to 5.1 and say in 5.1 that this is a
special case of 2.1 

Issue CR#194 : In a timed presentation does checkpoint 7.2 mean return to
the time that the user was at in a previous MM rendering 

http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#194 

Proposed: 
1. Only for synchronized multimedia 
2. Includes both space and time 

DP: Problem of streaming media. It's possible for downloadable media. 

IJ: I think that the applicability clause and a comment in the techniques
document could clear this up. 

DP: If a multimedia presentation stops when you leave the page, then you
should be able to return to it. 

IJ: I don't know why disorientation doesn't apply to multimedia. 

GR: I agree. 

Resolved: 
- Add an examples of multimedia/time to "point of regard" 
- Add a technique for multimedia tools about: 
a) If the presentation stops when you leave a presentation, bookmark and
return. Distinguish running in "background" from paused. 
b) Comment about inapplicability for streamed media. 

Action Ian: Add these to techniques document. 

Issue CR#195 (Candidate Recommendation): Problems understanding checkpoint 1.5 

http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#195 

JG: Question of what exactly is meant by 1.5. Is this a UI checkpoint or an
API checkpoint? 

Proposed 1) Ensure that user agent-initiated messages to the user are
available through all output channels supported through the UI. 

Proposed 2) Provide a text-equivalent in the user interface for every
non-text user interface component. (Based on WCAG 1.1). 

DA: What about the case where the UA emits a beep? 

JG: Message on the status bar. 

IJ: Components work in tandem: the sum of the components around a given
functionality must be accessible together (and have a text equivalent). 

GR: Problems of access to colors. 

IJ: Not a problem: Either text is there for everyone, or you can query. But
you can't make the color alone accessible to all people. 

Proposed 2) Ensure that every functionality available through the user
interface is represented in the user interface as text. 

DB: For IE colors, nicknames should be available for main colors. 

MQ: Allow users to name colors that they create.... 

Proposed 2) Ensure that every functionality available through the user
interface is represented in the user interface as text. 

IJ: Note that I'm talking about functionalities. Also, note that that text
needn't be available at all times; just available at some time. 

RS: What about basic colors? 

JG: What if we scale this back to messages. 

IJ: Note that we push to P2 the general case of user interface in 5.6. Do
Windows guidelines talk about text equivalents of non-text controls? 

DB: Yes, talks about item names. 

Questions: 
- How much has to be available through the UI? 
- Just for messages? For all UI components? 
- Does text meet the expectations of the WG? 

DP: The reason we talked about messages was that they are transient. Maybe
not available through an API. 

Resolved: Ensure all non-text messages (e.g., prompts, alerts, etc.)
available through the user interface are also represented in the user
interface as
text. 

Action Ian: 
- Ensure that techniques for this checkpoint talk about status bar. 
- Incorporate proposal. 
- Add rationale: if you're deaf blind you might need this (Braille display). 
Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
College of Applied Life Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
WWW: http://www.w3.org/wai/ua
Received on Wednesday, 1 March 2000 16:33:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:49:52 GMT