Re: DOM events Re: PROPOSAL: User Agent Issue 190:

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:37:38 +0100
To: mark novak <menovak@facstaff.wisc.edu>

mark novak wrote:
> At 2:41 AM 2/15/00, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> >Implementing an event model is important if we accept that the web that is
> >moving into the future is going to rely on scripting and dynamic
> >effects. Although there will be a requirement for some time to come that it
> >be possible to use the web without these things, I believe that by ignoring
> >them altogether we are hiding our heads in the sand - we must work out how
> >to make them accessible.
>
> If we ever hope to control scripts or make them accessible, I think we need
> to look at maintaining some separation between the data (content) and the
> UI.

Like for example BECSS [1] which allows CSS selectors to be used to
dynamically bind behaviours onto elements.

> The
> content (data) has not changed.  However, each users' view and ability
> to interface (control, input events)to  their view (e.g., visual, audio,
> tactile, etc.) is
> based on the user needs or abilities, and to a lesser degree, perhaps by the
> device capability.

Good point. Then you get to argue whether the pie chart of the data is
itself also data, or is part of a user interface to the data.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-becss-19990804
    Behavioral Extensions to CSS
    W3C Working Draft 04 Aug 1999

--