Re: PROPOSAL: User Agent Issue 190: Reduce the scope of 5.1 to say "write access only for that which you can do through the UI."

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> I propose the following to resolve issue 190:
>
> Current checkpoint:
>
> 5.1 Provide programmatic read and write access to content by conforming to
> W3C Document Object Model (DOM) specifications and exporting interfaces
> defined by those specifications. [Priority 1]
>
> I suggest we use five checkpoints in this section to describe access to web
> content:
>
> 5.1 Provide programmatic read access to all content using the interfaces
> specified in the W3C Document Object Model (DOM level 1) and exporting
> those interfaces to other applications . [Priority 1]

As indicated in a later message [1], "read access" is not defined
in DOM 1 or 2. It may not be possible to specify conformance to
DOM Level 1 in a way other than defined by the DOM Level 1
specification.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000JanMar/0338.html

> 5.2 Provide programmatic write access to the value attribute of form
> controls using the interfaces specified in the W3C Document Object Model
> (DOM level 1) and exporting those interfaces to other applications .
> [Priority 1]

This seems overly specific to HTML to me.

> 5.3 Provide progammatic support for the event model and methods for form
> controls and links using the interfaces specified in the W3C Document
> Object Model (DOM level 2 CR) and exporting those interfaces to other
> applications . [Priority 2]
>
> 5.4 Provide programmatic write access to all element of the W3C Document
> Object Model (DOM level 1) and exporting those interfaces to other
> applications . [Priority 3]
>
> 5.5 Provide progammatic support for the event model and methods for all
> elements using the interfaces specified in the W3C Document Object Model
> (DOM level 2 CR) and exporting those interfaces to other applications .
> [Priority 3]

What happened to the proposal that any change to content
the user may make through the user interface, the UA must
allow programmatically?

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814 or 212 532-4767