Re: More issues with checkpoint 5.1 (DOM access to content)

Ian Jacobs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just been talking with Philippe Le Hegaret,
> who is the W3C DOM Activity Lead about checkpoint 5.1, which
> in the Candidate Rec [1] reads:
>
>    5.1 Provide programmatic read and write access to content by
> conforming
>        to W3C Document Object Model (DOM) specifications and exporting
>        interfaces defined by those specifications. [Priority 1]
>
> There have already been much Candidate Rec discussion about this
> checkpoint
> (refer to issues 190 [2] and 194 [3]). Here are some additional comments
> from my conversation with Philippe:
>
> 1) DOM only addresses HTML and XML. Therefore, checkpoint 5.1 would not
>    cover programmatic access to content in any other format, such as
>    SGML.

To address this point in particular, I propose that we add a checkpoint
whose language echos that of Candidate Rec [1], checkpoint 5.2:

   Provide programmatic read and write access to content using standard
   APIs  (e.g., platform-independent APIs such as the W3C DOM, standard
   APIs for the operating system, and conventions for programming
   languages) [Priority 1]

Then, the checkpoint requiring DOM for access to content would be an
important
special case of this checkpoint (and both would be priority 1). A note
would
indicate that for XML and HTML, satisfaction of the DOM requirement
would meet
the more general checkpoint.

 - Ian