Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 10.6

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:27:01 -0500
To: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@ACM.org>
Harvey Bingham wrote:

> Checkpoint 10.6 Allow the user to configure the user agent in named
> profiles that may be shared on systems with distinct user accounts or
> shared by the same user portably across systems with the same operating
> system ?or do we propose such profiles could be made independent of
> operating system?.

For clarification, I propose changing the checkpoint to read:

    Allow the user to configure the user agent through
    profiles.

And then to define profile as follows:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
A "profile" is a named and persistent representation
of user preferences that may be used to configure a
user agent. On systems with distinct user accounts,
profiles enable users to reconfigure software quickly
when they log on. Profiles may be shared with other
users. Platform-independent profiles are useful for
those who work in different environments (with the same
user agent).
</BLOCKQUOTE>

The current text is:

      Allow the user to configure the user agent in named
      profiles that may be shared on systems with distinct
      user accounts.

1) I think calling them "named" profiles is unnecessary if
   having a name is part of the definition (I feel like Eric Hansen
   here! <grin>).

2) I find the second half of the requirement confusing. What does
   is mean to require the user agent to allow sharing? I think
   it makes more sense if the definition explains the rationale
   behind profiles.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814