Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 2.1

Harvey Bingham wrote:

> Checkpoint 2.1 Ensure that the user has access to all content, including
> alternative equivalent representations for content.
>
> The meaning of "equivalent" from Random House Dictionary:
> 1. equal in value, measure, force, significance, etc.
> 2. corresponding in position, function., etc.
>
> All we assert is that comparable information is available, differently
> represented. I think that "equivalent" asserts equality or correspondence,
> both of which seem beyond what we expect.

I disagree. In the glossary under "Alternative Equivalents
for Content", we say:

<BLOCKQUOTE>
In the context of this document, the equivalent
must fulfill essentially the same function for the person
with a disability (at least insofar as is feasible,
given the nature of the disability and the state
of technology), as the "primary" content does for the person
without any disability.
</BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this explains what we are trying to accomplish.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814