Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 5.1

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> authoring tool:
>
> The limitations of the DOM and UA guidelines related to authoring documents:

> 1. Current DOM specifications do not represent the entire document, future
> versions may

I'm not sure this is true. I think that some information (such as style
and event attributes) is not available through the HTML convenience
interfaces [1]. However, you should be able to get at that information
through the DOM core [2]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-html.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/level-one-core.html

> 2. DOM currently does not have features to save the document, even if it is
> complete representation is available

I may be wrong, but that's probably not supposed to be part of the DOM
(since, for example, the concrete syntax may vary even if the abstract
syntax represented by the document tree is the same in different
applications).

> 3. We have no requirements in the UA guidelines to allow the user to change
> content, only to configure rendering of content and interact with active
> elements.

Conformance to the DOM means that you have read and write access
to the document tree. So although we don't have any explicit
checkpoints for content modification, as is, UAs are required
to allow content modification through the DOM.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814