Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 5.1

authoring tool:

The limitations of the DOM and UA guidelines related to authoring documents:
1. Current DOM specifications do not represent the entire document, future
versions may
2. DOM currently does not have features to save the document, even if it is
complete representation is available
3. We have no requirements in the UA guidelines to allow the user to change
content, only to configure rendering of content and interact with active
elements.

Jon

At 06:28 PM 1/10/00 -0500, Harvey Bingham wrote:
>Checkpoint 5.1 Provide programmatic read and write ?write -- doesn't this
>require that every user agent become an authoring tool? access to content,
>attribute values, and structure by conforming to W3C Document Object Model
>specifications.
>
>[The DOM, at least for an XML application with a DTD, represents a valid
>document. If the AT needn't parse the DOM, that programmatic write can
>destroy the DOM structure, or violate XML validity restrictions.
>
>For example, ID values must be unique to a document, so all ID values must
>be known or at least found and checked before another unique one could be
>generated.]
>
>Regards/Harvey Bingham

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group