Server-side image map coordinates [Was: Re: Request from Content working group]

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:44:42 -0400
To: Dick Brown <dickb@microsoft.com>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Dick Brown wrote:
> I promised the Content group I would send the User Agent group this
> question:
> -------------------
> Do user agents generate a 0,0 to the server if an area on a server-side
> image map is not selected?

What do you mean by "not selected"? What causes the coordinates to
be sent to the server?
> We would like to know if redundant text links could be returned if a server
> receives 0,0 but are not sure if
> all browsers generate it.

Whether they generate it or whether they should are, as usual,
distinct questions. From the HTML 4.01 specification, section 13.6.2

   User agents that do not offer the user a means to select
   specific coordinates (e.g., non-graphical user agents that rely on
   keyboard input, speech-based user agents, etc.) should send the
   coordinates "0,0" to the server when the link is activated.

Is this your goal?

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842