Re: maximum & minimum speech rates for software synthesizers

"Gregory J. Rosmaita" wrote:

> i propose that we adopt the average maximum speech rate of four of the most
> commonly used -listed software synthesizers as the minimal requirement for
> the minimal upper range for the synthesized speech rate
>
> Eloquence for JAWS (Eloquent Technologies)
>          slowest: 100 words per minute (can increase by 1 wpm increments or
> by 70 wpm increments
>          fastest: 800 words per minute
>
> ViaVoice Outloud (IBM)
>          slowest: 70 words per minute
>          fastest: 700 words per minute (increases in 10 wpm increments)
>
> Orpheus (Dolphin Access)
>          slowest: 10 words per minute
>          fastest: 700 words per minute
>
> Microsoft Speech Engine (Microsoft)
>          slowest: 100 words per minute
>          fastest: 510 words per minute
>
> the average works out to be 677.5 words per minute, which is akin to having
> 2.1 children, so i propose that we adopt 700 words per minutes as the
> minimal upper range for synthesized speech

[snipped remainder]

I'm not comfortable with a range that high, since for 50% of the
tools sampled, that's the maximum rate. I think the minimum req
should be "somewhat less" than the max rate of some tools. But
I'm not a pro, so I don't feel too strongly about it.

 -Ian