Re: Proposal to delete checkpoint 3.2 and expand 4.10

At 2000-06-12 10:43-0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Jon Gunderson wrote:
> >
> > Ian,
> >
> > How do you define an audio source?
> > Is a source an author specification of some type of audio
> > resource or is it an API or hardware used to play the
> > author specified audio resource?
>
>Content provided by the author that when rendered,
>produces sound. This could be pre-recorded sounds
>or synthesized speech, for example.
>- Ian

I note that the "author" for the sound source may well be a professional
narrator, reading what the traditional author wrote, as is used with
digital talking books. That is quite different from synthesized speech.
I trust you do not mean to exclude such narrations. It does raise issues
of synchronization and navigation, as addressed by SMIL. Does that come
under:

3.4 allow the user to turn on and off the rendering of audio.

How about another:

3.x allow the user to select audio source of text: synthesized
speech or pre-recorded.

Regards/Harvey