Re: Discussion of checkpoints 7.6 and 7.7

The minimum repair of 7.7 to accomodate the change in 7.6 is simple.  It
could take either of the two forms

<NEW1>
7.7 Allow the user to configure this structured navigation.
</NEW1>

or

<NEW2>
7.7 Allow the user to configure the structured navigation required in
Checkpoint 7.6.
</NEW2>

If you want to include some clarification, it could be tested with the
group to see if the following is considered to be the same sense as before:

<NEW3>
7.7 Allow the user to adjust the kinds of restart-points which are exposed
as available destinations in structural navigation.
</NEW3>

All the other issues you raise are new business, not what is required in
7.7 to accomodate the change in 7.6.

Discussion (personal opinions):

1.  Minimum standards for configurability

It is hard to set any minimum-requirement level for 7.7.  Depending on the
amount of investment in code and media savvy applied to the generation of
predefined navigation views by the UA implementer, user twiddling could be
entirely unnecessary.

Given some relatively inexpensive generic methods of constructing
structural navigation views (ranges of motion options), user adjustment
could be essential at a relatively-P2 level (all the benefit of 7.6 goes
away without it, for some users).

2.  What it is that can be configured

Here Jon had it nailed.

The dominant issue is the filter rules that determine the "structural"
subset of destinations which are reachable under the "structural"
navigation functions.

How these destination options are presented to the user (see checkpoint
8.6) and how motion to them is commanded (see checkpoint ???) are
configuration options covered under different checkpoints.

3.  Question using control/configure distinction in setting minimums, here.

The forced distinction between "control" (i.e. adjustment through the UI
that affect the current behavior) vs. "configure" (adjustments that may
have to be done out of line with a use session, but persist) is unfortunate.

The strongest user requirement is that they be able to adjust the UA
behavior somehow.  Whether it fits into the narrower categories of
"control" or "configure" as discussed above is secondary or tertiary,
relative to this requirement.

In the most usable implementation, and this is also quite common today,
there is not a lot of difference between the user interface to
current-session and next-session adjustments, aside from a prompt as to
whether the user intends the adjustment to be temporary/local or
global/permanent.

Al